Advanced & Defensive Driving Courses Cambridge
We have helped many companies and private clients in Cambridge over the last few years that have wanted to improve the safety of their drivers or increase their own level of driver skill. Cambridge is a popular location for advanced driver training as it has a wide and diverse network of roads.
We cover Cambridge + All of the UK – We come to you for the training:
We provide bespoke advanced/defensive driver training to companies and private individuals, using our national network of DVSA-registered advanced driving instructors.
Our course options are based on duration, and are designed to provide the best fit for a driver, whether that’s for a newly qualified driver or someone with 40+ years of experience:
- 3.5hr – Designed for drivers who need a short session. This is popular too for companies who are training 10+ drivers where we can train one driver AM and one PM.
- 3.5hr x 2 – For those that feel a full day is too much in one go, and a 3.5hr alone is not enough. Suited to drivers who feel a rest in between sessions will work for them.
- 7hr full-day – This full-day course is ideal for those (both private and business customers) who want a driver or drivers to have a full-day intensive session.
- We also offer 3.5 hours over 3,4 or 5 days, which don’t need to be taken back to back. Ideal for those who want to significantly increase the standard of their driving with one-to-one training over a number of hours.
“We have seen a 68.5% reduction in damage to our car amongst our team of staff across the UK and Northern Ireland since we have used Drivers Domain UK for our advanced driver training. As a charity that saves lives at sea, ongoing training is critical to ensuring the safety of our staff on and off the water.”
RNLI – Royal National Lifeboat Institution
For all our bespoke driving courses in Cambridge, we provide training on a range of roads and different areas, which can include:
Motorway training – the M11 motorway serves Cambridge to the west of the city and other fast routes, such as the A428 and the A14, which are ideal for delivering advanced driver motorway training. We have taught many drivers to enter and exit motorway junctions and the correct speed to adhere to, understanding how to change lanes and overtake safely with good indications, which will help bring your confidence up to a great level on any fast routes.
Rural Roads – Cambridge is surrounded by beautiful open countryside, and they are coved by many miles of rural roads that have their own set of driving challenges, very different from driving on motorways or in town. For example, the A1307 towards Great Abingdon and the Balsham Road have seen many severe and fatal accidents that may have been avoided with better observations and slower speeds. The temptation to speed in rural areas is high, with little street lighting and few warning signs can make rural driving very hazardous. Many rural roads will have seasonal issues, such as flooding or black ice, due to the lack of gritting in the winter months. Unfortunately, younger drivers find themselves at most risk on rural roads.
Urban Training – The city centre of Cambridge is mainly pedestrianised, but the roads leading out of the town, such as Pembroke Street and Regent Street, have seen many collisions which may have been avoided with a little extra attention to other road users, cyclists, and pedestrians. Urban driving requires good concentration and being aware of your entire surroundings, especially during rush hour is important. Other drivers can be very impatient, so being able to anticipate such actions can be lifesaving. Driving in busy urban environments is something that most drivers will do regularly, but for those who have lost confidence on busy roads, they can be very stressful. We can help with this as we can ensure you are using your mirrors well and ensuring that every move is well indicated to other drivers.
Remember – Each driving course is bespoke to your own needs. This applies to both business and individual customers across the UK
Our courses cover a range of elements, including:
* Forward planning and observation
* Speed Awareness
* Developing a positive attitude towards safer driving
* How to become a safer driver on all roads
* Car or van control (gears, steering, foot controls, signals)
* Rules of the road
* Dealing with road rage
* Reversing and manoeuvres
* Dealing with adverse weather
* Town and urban defensive driving
* Driving in heavy traffic and allowing adequate space
* Skid control theory and learning what causes skids
* Eco-safe driving (effective use of speed, gears, planning)
* Anticipation – Learning to see and not just look
* Understanding other road users and their intentions
After the training, you will receive a full driving report, which will outline the driving standard both before and after the training. We measure a driver in 20+ key areas and score them either excellent, very good, good, adequate or poor. We do this at the start and the end, so you can see the improvement and in what areas. There will also be notes from the tutor too.
This report (and course) will be completed by a professional DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) registered advanced driving instructor. The tutors DVSA registration number will be recorded on this report. As you may have seen from our website, we come to you for the training, which takes place in your own car.
How we score a driver:
We score a driver in over 20 areas of driving both before and after a course, from Excellent to Poor, so you can see the areas of improvement, in what areas, along with handwritten notes from the tutor. Each driver taking the training will also be graded an overall road risk from low to high.
Please contact us for more information about how we can help you.